In 2017, the strong demand for mobile services continues to have an impact on our economy and society as the industry shifts its focus in preparation for 5G, the next generation of mobile technology.
AMTA’s latest Annual Report includes the following highlights:
- As industry prepares for 5G the need for regulatory reform in spectrum management and network infrastructure deployment is increasingly urgent.
- 5G Mobile – Enabling Businesses and Economic Growth Report by Deloitte Access Economics found that 5G is expected to further drive Australia’s digital economy. It will add to the already significant (and growing) $34 billion in long-term productivity benefits from mobile; and annual network spend from mobile providers is expected to reach $5.7 billion in FY2017-18.
- The MCF has focused on an agenda of legislative reform to support the efficient and flexible deployment of network infrastructure.
- The IMEI blocking program expanded its scope to address the new challenges of smartphone security and fraud.
- MobileMuster welcomes new members HMD Global and Google and to the industry program as it continues as a leading government accredited product stewardship program in Australia collecting 79 tonnes last year.